IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
Calling All Students! Don’t miss the chance to submit your innovative mission competition concept for the 1st IAA African Symposium on Small Satellites.
SmallSat Missions to Alleviate Poverty in Africa
*Submission deadline: [EXTENDED] 12 September 2021
- Single satellite or constellation
- Any orbit
- Feasibility of selection is taken into account in judging
- Prof. Herman Steyn
Head of Satellite Engineering and Control Systems, Stellenbosch University
- Prof. Robert Van Zyl
Director of the French South African Institute of Technology, Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Khalid Manjoo
Co-Founder & Chief Technical Officer, Astrofica Technologies
- Stan Kennedy
President and CSE, Oakman Aerospace, Inc.
- Mike Kearney
Chief Executive Officer, CubeSpace Satellite Systems
- Allen Herbert
Vice President Business Development and Strategy, Nanoracks
- Fikiswa Majola
Deputy Director of Space Science and Technology, South African Department of Science and Innovation
The 4 finalists teams (irrespective of team size) will receive a maximum 2 free conference registrations and will need to present their proposal in person (unless otherwise arranged) at a special session during the Symposium.
There are large cash prizes up for grabs for both the winning and runner-up teams.
Format of the abstract submissions?
- 5 pages maximum
1. Applicant Details
- Why is this proposal necessary towards alleviating poverty in Africa?
- What are your mission objectives?
- What are you proposing?
- How will the satellite look?
- What orbit will it be launched in?
- What is the ground segment requirements?
- What will it do?
- What would be done with the data (if applicable)?
- What would be needed to realize this mission?
- What is the feasibility of this?
- What are the main risks to the mission (i.e technical, financial, political, etc)?
Concept Originality – New/Novel/Innovative/Impact/Value
Proposal Feasibility – Technical/Financial/Logistical/Political/Sustainable